Recently, MGM and Caesars were victims of a cyberattack. The extent of the damage can be determined by the length of time that both platforms were unavailable to their consumers. MGM, for instance, was impacted for nine days as a result of the attack on its computer systems.
Now, the Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) has clarified that any update regarding the matter is less likely to be made public. The board has said that updates cannot be shared with people since relevant authorities are currently investigating the case. The Board is itself acting as an investigative and law enforcement agency.
Those actions are linked to the idea of supporting the gaming industry in the region and protecting citizens and visitors to Nevada.
Kirk Hendrick, the Chairman of the NGCB, has confirmed this statement. The FBI is also involved in investigating the incident reported in September this year. There is no timeline showcasing the point when the details will be made public or when the investigation will conclude.
While MGM suffered for 9 days, Caesars had the issue for a relatively short duration. Reportedly, Caesars agreed to pay millions of dollars in ransomware demand. Kirk has appreciated the action of the Board, saying that it was thinking of the future by introducing Regulation 5.260.
The regulation mandated all casinos to draft and implement robust security measures to monitor and evaluate the prevailing situations.
BetMGM again came under the spotlight when the platform suffered a small technical glitch. Many customers were unable to access their betting accounts of this online casino on mobile devices. Most of them took to X, formerly Twitter, to report the issue. It was later acknowledged by a BetMGM representative, who said the issue had been resolved. They also clarified that the problem had no links to the cyberattacks that it had faced in September 2023. The issue also included the system taking more than usual to grant access to customers’ betting accounts.
Moving forward, a case has been filed against MGM and Caesars to seek damages caused by the cyberattack.
The 10th class-action lawsuit was filed on Wednesday in Nevada. The applicant has been identified as David Terezo, a customer belonging to the MGM Rewards program. They have alleged that their sensitive information, including, but not limited to, their address, date of birth, and social security number, was stolen during the cyberattack.
David has sought damages and the implementation of encryption to better protect data. Moreover, the lawsuit has sought periodic checks by a third party to ensure that practices comply with relevant laws and that there are no further attacks.
No representative from either party has commented on David’s lawsuit. Due to the similarity and complexity of the complaints, there is a possibility that the judge designated to this case will consolidate them into a single action.